Contact Center-as-a-Service MetriRank 2023

Published on: July 31, 2023

Author: Diane Myers, Principal Analyst Contributors: Robin Gareiss, CEO and Principal Analyst; Beth Schultz, Vice President of Research and Principal Analyst  
Metrigy’s global Customer Experience MetriCast 2023 market size and forecast study, conducted with 1,695 companies, finds that nearly 51% have a contact center platform in place. Of those, 32% utilize Contact Center as a Service (CCaaS); the remaining 68% either use a single-server hosted platform that is managed by a third-party partner or they use, own, and manage an on-premises contact center platform at their own or a hosting provider’s location. Although the majority of contact center agent licenses are for on-premises platforms, the adoption trend is toward CCaaS, which allows improved flexibility and scalability, the ability to move to an OpEx model, quicker access to enhanced capabilities, deep analytics, and customer insights across digital channels. In this CCaaS MetriRank report, Metrigy examines the leading providers. The global market for CCaaS was $5.6 billion in 2022, up 30% year-over-year. Metrigy forecasts the market to grow at a 12% CAGR from 2022 to 2027, reaching $9.7 billion by 2027. The CCaaS market is highly competitive, with providers of varying sizes, capabilities, and reach—some are global, and others are regional. Some providers are large and have broad portfolios, and others are smaller, with niche offerings. In determining companies in the CCaaS MetriRank, market share is important to overall leadership score, but financial strength and customer sentiment are most significant at setting providers apart in the rankings. Having the right mix of features and capabilities is critical, although most of the top-tier providers share common capabilities today. However, 2023 is shaping up to be an important year of enhanced product development, particularly around artificial intelligence (AI), which will become a significant factor moving forward. The top five are as follows:
  • NICE is the undisputed leader in our inaugural CCaaS MetriRank report, with the largest market share, strong financials, and full marks for product mix. NICE has a commanding lead on the field, putting it in a good position to continue top performance over the next few years.
  • Right behind NICE comes Five9. As a pure-play CCaaS provider, Five9 is highly focused on delivering the right mix of capabilities. While third in market share, Five9 gets an important boost because of its customer sentiment score.
  • Cisco is only the ninth-largest CCaaS provider, but it gets a big jump from its financial strength and customer sentiment, placing it third in the ranking. With a history in on-premises contact center solutions, Cisco has an installed base of businesses to migrate to the cloud, which also gives the company an advantage.
  • Genesys is the fourth-ranked provider. It has the second-largest CCaaS market share, a strong product mix, and above-average market momentum. Genesys has gone all-in with CCaaS, announcing in 2022 that it will discontinue the sale of new licenses for some of its on-prem products in 2023.
  • 8x8 rounds out the top five providers through continued growth of its installed base and a strong customer sentiment score. 8x8, widely known as a Unified Communications-as-a-Service (UCaaS) provider, has been successful selling UC and contact center as an integrated platform. It has a strong proposition for businesses seeking a single-vendor solution across both domains.

Table of Contents
  • Executive Summary
  • About the Study
  • CCaaS Leadership
    • Top Providers
    • Providers to Watch
  • CCaaS Provider Profiles
    • NICE
    • Five9
    • Cisco
    • Genesys
    • 8x8
    • Vonage
    • Dialpad
    • Sprinklr
    • AWS
    • Talkdesk
    • Twilio
  • Appendix
    • Methodology
    • Leadership Metric Definitions
    • Further Reading
  • Working With Metrigy

You are currently viewing a preview of this content. Metrigy clients, please log in for full access to all research content. If you are not a client, please click below to purchase access to this research report. We also invite you to become a client.


Purchase Access